I am making an announcement. I am moving my blog over to a new site:
This blog got too personal and I want to have just a fibre arts blog where I can connect with other fibre artists or people interested in what I am doing.
Okay, it is the first Wednesday of the month so I guess I need to show my spinning projects I have finished recently or am working on. I must confess that I have found a few spinning projects I had forgotten about but in the interests of full disclosure I am going to post them all despite how bad it looks.
While really angry about a dispute with my neighbour over the weekend I decided to spin and ply 4 oz of Shetland from Spunky Eclectic into a 3 ply yarn in less than 24 hours. I think I will make something for one of my son’s out of this:
Okay. Here come the spinning WIPs. I was spinning yak on a little support spindle from punis:
However, my new Bosworth book charkha arrived and it was so much faster to spin the yak on that (why speed has become important will be apparent after reading this post). The ball of singles is on the second wheel.
I found a project I was doing on a tulipwood Midi Bosworth spindle. The batt is from Dyakcraft and it is Corriedale.
There is the Merino/yak I am doing on the Russian support spindle.
I have another project started on the wheel this week:
This has been my kitchen spindle for a long time and I think I just need to finish it already:
The camel project that I carry in my purse but haven’t finished more than a year later. Yeah, I am going to finish that one too and get it done with:
Another project. The batt is an Abbybatt and the spindle is an IST spindle:
Because I am clearly delusional, I decided to start a project aiming for a 2ply cobweb weight yarn with some Polwarth. The spindle is a Tracy Eichheim:
Finally, I discovered this project:
There was one more but it was white and I am cutting my losses and just using the singles to ply with leftovers on bobbins for a leftover blanket.
I had my drumcarder on an old change table but the boys needed something in their room for their toy bins and 4 bins fit perfectly on the change table to I put it in their room. That left me without a place for my drum carder. I had been looking at kitchen carts for some time as they have wheels. With the variation in the amount of daylight I get it is nice to be able to move my drum carder towards a source of light. The wheels lock on this cart (on just one side but it seems to be fine) and so I bought it when I was in Whitehorse last Wednesday. I put it together yesterday. I am rather excited to start making some batts but I have a very interesting book I am reading and I need to dehydrate a bunch of vegetables tomorrow. I will do a post on the book once I am finished it. I also need to post about my Jacob wool I spun up on the weekend.
I got my charkha in the mail on Wednesday but wasn’t able to pick it up until yesterday. I ordered it in July and was lucky as those a little after me have to wait until the summer to get theirs. This style of charkha was often used by Gandhi and it primarily used for spinning cotton but is good for other short fibres too. You could spin a lot of different fibres on it I guess but with such a high ratio (70:1) it is best for high twist yarns.
I am not good at spinning cotton at all. It is not a really fast fibre to spin and is completely different than wool. I watched Stepheni Gaustad’s video Spinning Cotton, and am now able to make cotton yarn. Not great cotton yarn but a start anyways.
So I left some wool in a weld dyebath overnight. I would show you a picture but it is a fairly light yellow and my camera sucks at picking up subtle yellows I have discovered. Actually my camera isn’t very good at picking up colours at all but getting a decent one is not high on my list of priorities at the moment.
I have been asked to do a demo or a workshop at the local Crane and Sheep Festival in May. I normally make some toy wheel spindles and bring some different types of fibre. I think I will make some batts of some naturally dyed wool too. If I am doing a demo I just show people spinning but obviously a workshop is a little more involved. I do spindle spinning because I am much better at that than wheel spinning. Also, the people can take the spindles home and keep practicing. It is the first festival of the year in the Yukon and some die-hards even camp. We will see how it goes.
I did some dyeing today. I had some scoured Romney and some scoured grey Gotland. I was going to dye with some barberry roots and bark I had soaking but it was moldy and not usable. I did madder root instead. I did not put any cream of tartar in the mordant bath with the alum as I hadn’t planned on doing a red dye. Anyways, it was looking pretty orange so I added some crushed Tums hoping that would raise the pH and bring the colour over to red but it didn’t on the nearest batch in the picture (I added it during the dye) but showed up more on the Gotland. I had to add more madder root in a muslin bag to the dye bath to get a stronger colour.